Split Rock Lighthouse, once an essential navigation aid for Great Lakes mariners, will commemorate the loss of the Edmund Fitzgerald with its annual beacon lighting on Nov. 10 from noon to 6 p.m.
Situated along the North Shore, the lighthouse was in service from 1910 until technological advancements rendered it obsolete, and it was decommissioned in 1969.
The annual beacon lighting is the only opportunity for visitors to witness the lit beacon from inside the tower.
Once a year, the beacon is lit in memory of sailors lost to shipwrecks on the Great Lakes, including the 29 men lost on Nov. 10, 1975, when the Edmund Fitzgerald was lost to one of Lake Superior’s notorious storms when, as Gordon Lightfoot sang, the gales of November came early.
Admission is $7 per person, free for Minnesota Historical Society members.
For more information, go to mnhs.org/splitrock or call (218) 226-6372.